What is H.B. 1133?
The Georgia Private School Tax Credit Law allows individuals and corporations to receive a full state tax credit (and federal tax deductions) for money they donate to school scholarship organizations (SSOs), which provide tuition assistance to poor and middle-class students who transfer from public to private schools.
What is an SSO?
A student scholarship organization is a private, not-for-profit organization that receives and distributes funds donated under H.B. 1133 rules. SSOs can establish their own qualifications for scholarship recipients. Donations can be undesignated and distributed at the discretion of the SSO, or donors can earmark their contributions for specific schools that are in partnership with the SSO, which must obligate 90 percent of donated funds to scholarships.
How do I give?
Anyone who pays taxes in Georgia can make a qualifying donation, but approval from the Department of Revenue is required in advance because the legislation caps the total tax credits for scholarship donations at $50 million per year. You must submit Georgia form IT-QEE-TP1, which designates the SSO to which you will donate. Individuals are permitted to give $1,000 per year. That figure is $2,500 for couples. Corporations may give up to 75 percent of their annual tax liability or $10,000, whichever is less.
Where can I find an SSO?
Eight SSOs have registered with the state. The Georgia Department of Education maintains the list and provides a link to download form IT-QEE-TP1 at public.doe.k12.ga.us/pea_policy.aspx?PageReq=PEAHB1133.
The eight SSOs operating now:
• Apogee Georgia School Choice Scholarship Fund, email@example.com.
• Georgia Christian Schools Scholarship Fund, gcssf.org/index.htm or 770-528-9259.
• Georgia GOAL Scholarship Program, www.goalscholarship.org or 770-828-4625.
• Georgia Student Scholarship Organization, 770-331-2654.
• Liberty Scholarship Foundation, www.libertyscholarshipfoundation.com or 770-217-0988.
• ALEF Fund, www.shalomatlanta.org/alef or 404-870-1635.
• Family Fellowship Foundation, www.familyfellowshipfund.org.
• GRACE Scholars, 404-855-7491.