The National Merit Scholarship Corp. recently announced the final group of National Merit Scholars from the high school Class of 2009. The newest group of 2,000 students, including 69 from Georgia, brings the total for the year to approximately 8,300 scholarship recipients.
The final group is made up of students who are getting National Merit Scholarships financed by the colleges and universities they will be attending in the fall. Nine of them live and/or go to school in Sandy Springs, Buckhead or Brookhaven:
• Rachel Capouya of Norcross, Weber School, University of Georgia.
• Meredith Dishongh of Dunwoody, Pace Academy, Furman University.
• Leah Dodell of Roswell, Riverwood International Charter School, Emory University.
• Adam Fromal of Atlanta, Westminster Schools, attending the University of Georgia.
• John Menendez of Buckhead, Westminster Schools, Vanderbilt University.
• Jill Morsberger of Lilburn, Marist School, Emory University.
• Matthew Ritchie of DeKalb County, Galloway School, Tulane University.
• Sharon Solomon of Marietta, Lovett School, George Washington University.
• Spencer Zaghikian of Buckhead, Galloway School, Emory University.
They join 41 other locals previously announced as winners of National Merit and National Achievement scholarships.