By Ann Boutwell


Aug. 1, 1919: The Atlanta Constitution urged women to register to vote – the first time they would be allowed to do so in the City of Atlanta.


Aug. 6, 1966: Little Richard was the headliner at the Imperial Hotel’s Domino Lounge on Peachtree Street. He entertained the reservation-only crowd with “Golly Miss Molly,” “Long Tall Sally,” and “Tutti Frutti,” and shared the entertainment bill with the Go Go Girls and the John, John, and John Trio.


Aug. 8, 1871: The Atlanta Chamber of Commerce was organized with 78 members. The first headquarters was at 44 East Alabama St., where it remained until the chamber owned its own building on the northeastern corner of Pryor and Hunter streets (Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive). The current Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce is located at 235 Andrew Young International Blvd. in Centennial Olympic Park.


Aug. 9, 2004: Chick-fil-A founder S. Truett Cathy received an honorary doctorate from Georgia State University.


Aug. 12, 1966: Famed African-American athlete Satchel Page was signed by the Atlanta Braves as an adviser and part-time pitcher. Then-Braves President William C. Bartholomay put Paige on the active roster through the 1969 season so he could qualify for a Major League pension.


Aug. 14, 1890: The Gress Zoological Gardens – known today as Zoo Atlanta – had its formal private dedication at an elegant banquet in the Kimball House Hotel.


Aug. 21, 1998: “The Storyteller” (pictured) – a 14-foot-tall, bronze cast deer sitting with animal friends – appeared on the grounds of the Grand Hyatt Hotel at Piedmont and Peachtree roads in Buckhead. Birmingham sculptor Frank Fleming created the $250,000 work, commissioned by the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation, the Buckhead Coalition, and the Bank South Fund. The buck with his nine metal friends relocated to Buckhead Park in 1998.


Aug. 26, 1960: Vice President Richard M. Nixon stopped in Atlanta during his campaign as the Republican presidential candidate. Crowds were so large in Downtown Atlanta that Nixon’s convertible was stopped and completely surrounded by shouting, screaming spectators.


Aug.30, 1909: Residents of the Old Fourth Ward around the Jackson Street and Boulevard area complained to the city about the state of the sewer system. Swarms of mosquitoes and fear of a typhoid outbreak kept many indoors.


Aug. 31, 1993: City Hall East at 675 Ponce de Leon Avenue opened with fireworks and speeches and the hope of revitalizing Ponce de Leon Avenue. The landmark-building site was the 1925 Sears & Roebuck Building. The city of Atlanta purchased the old Sears 2,000,000-square-foot building and surrounding 23.7 acres in 1991 for $12 million. In 2006, the property sold for $22 million to be developed into a large mixed use neighborhood.

Collin Kelley

Collin Kelley has been the editor of Atlanta Intown for two decades and has been a journalist and freelance writer for 35 years. He’s also an award-winning poet and novelist.