1. Trim back the trimmings: Shave calories by going easy when adding nuts, cheese, cream sauces, gravy, butter and whipped cream to dishes.
2. Be a food snob: If you don’t love it, don’t eat it. Don’t feel obligated to sample everything on the buffet. Skip dishes that are available all year long, so you can indulge on holiday favorites.
3. No skipping meals: Keep a normal eating routine by having breakfast, a light lunch and maybe a snack before the big meal.
4. Alternate alcohol with nonalcoholic drinks: Cut your alcohol calories in half by alternating water or seltzer between alcoholic beverages.
5. Skip the appetizers: If you need a little nibble before the meal, go for the veggies, fruit, salsa or a small handful of nuts.
– Courtesy WebMD.com
Consumers who want a status check on their memory can take advantage of free, confidential screenings on Tuesday, Nov. 17, at Sunrise at Buckhead, 1000 Lenox Park Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The screenings are part of National Memory Screening Day, an annual initiative of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA) designed to promote proper detection of memory problems and strategies for successful aging. For more information, call (404) 261-8700.
Arista Fitness Spa in Buckhead is the first in the country to have the new Fitvibe Golf Pro, which allows golf lovers to not only improve their game, but also get a complete workout. Golfers stand on a vibrating plate that stimulates the muscles, then uses training postures as part of the workout. For more visit www.aristaspas.com.
Piedmont Heart Institute welcomes three vascular surgeons to its family of physicians. Drs. Patrick M. Battey, Eyal Ben-Arie, and Robert W. Powers, Jr. of Piedmont Vascular Associates have joined Piedmont Heart Institute Physicians.
Piedmont Healthcare has three hospitals rated in the top 10 in patient satisfaction among Georgia hospitals, according to a new Consumer Reports online ratings of more than 3,400 hospitals across the United States. Piedmont Hospital received an Overall Patient Rating of 81 percent. Piedmont Mountainside Hospital, a 42-bed community hospital in Jasper, received a rating of 77 percent. Piedmont Fayette Hospital, a 143-bed acute-care community hospital in Fayetteville, received a rating of 75 percent.
Cohen Chiropractic Centre opened last month in Buckhead at 2140 Peachtree Road, Suite 203 (behind Houston’s). Dr. Austin Cohen, who founded the Peachtree Run/Walk Club, uses state-of-the-art digital x-rays and other technology to diagnose his patients. The center also offers health workshops. For more information, visit www.CohenChiropracticCentre.com.