June 3, 1930: Regenstein’s Department Store opened in the old Peters Land Company Building on the southeast corner of Peachtree and Cain, now Andrew Young International Boulevard Established in 1872 by brothers Julius and Gabriel Regenstein, the was the first in the city to employ a woman sales clerk, Martha Owens. The building located at 209 Peachtree is where Hooters stands today.
June 4, 1967: The 80-foot-long steel framework of the walkway between the twenty-second floors of the Gas Light Tower and the Merchandise Mart at Peachtree and Harris streets was lifted into position.
June 8, 1994: A bronze statue memorializing the presidency of Jimmy Carter is unveiled on the grounds of the Georgia State Capitol. The sculptor is Frederick Hart, whose best-known works are in Washington. He created the three bronze soldiers at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The seven-ton, 11-foot-high slab of Georgia granite is a slightly larger than real life depiction of Carter with rolled up shirtsleeves and khakis. Barbara Faga of director of Atlanta’s architecture firm EDAW landscaped the site.
June 12, 2000: Atlanta native Alfred Urhy’s musical Parade, about the murder of Mary Phagan and trial of Leo Frank, opened at the Fox Theatre.
June 15, 1918: The Hanson Motor Company on Murphy Avenue near Oakland City began production of its high-class Hanson “Six.” The first two Hansons designed by Don M. Ferguson were first seen at the1917 Southeastern Fair. According to Atlanta History Center’s Don Rooney, only two Hanson motorcars are known to exist today. A black Hanson is displayed in the Atlanta History Center’s permanent collection.
June 21, 1989: The Crescent Apartments where Margaret Mitchell began writing Gone With the Wind in 1926 is placed on National Register of Historic Places. Often referred to as “The Dump” by Mitchell, the building is now the Margaret Mitchell House and Museum.
June 30, 1996: City officials, family and friends gathered at Dobbs Plaza on Auburn Avenue for the unveiling of sculptor Ralph Helmick’s seven-foot-tall bronze mask of John Wesley Dobbs’ face entitled “Through His Eyes.” The mask’s open eyes allow viewers metaphorically to see Auburn Avenue as Dobbs, a civil rights pioneer and unofficial “Mayor of Auburn Avenue” once did.