Whether you’re feeling historic, hungry or in the mood for show tunes, INtown has you covered with this week’s High Five. Hot weather is predicted for the weekend, so some of these events will offer you a chance to cool down.
1. Ramblin’ Around: TheGeorgia Trust 2010 Atlanta Fall Rambleis tomorrow through Sunday with the theme, Old Charm Meets New South.Explore Atlanta’s historic landmarks and homes and learn about the craftsmanship behind their restorations. There will be special tours of the Fox Theatre, Oakland Cemetery, Ansley Park, Inman Park, and other intown neighborhoods.
2. Straight up: The Atlanta Queer Literary Festival is holding a fundraiser with its straight allies on Friday night called I See Straight People. Def Poetry Jam star Jon Goode, musician Elise Witt, spoken word legend Alice Lovelace and music from Fortune’s Fool will feature. The event will be at the First Existentialist Congregation in Candler Park starting at 8 p.m. A $10 donation is requested.
3. Debbie Does Atlanta: The unsinkable Debbie Reynolds belts show tunes Saturday night at the Ferst Center for the Arts on the Georgia Tech campus. Fondly remembered for her staring roles in Singing in the Rain and The Unsinkable Molly Brown, she gained a whole new generation of fans playing Grace’s mom on Will & Grace.
4. Put on your eatin’ bib: The fifth annual Midtown Restaurant Week wraps up on Sunday with articipating restaurants offering a $25 three-course, prix fixe dinner menu (plus tax and tip). Some of the restaurants taking part include 4th & Swift, Dogwood, Dolce, Spice Market, ONE.midtown kitchen and many more.
5. Pushin’ up daisies: If you dare to venture OTP, then the annual Yellow Daisy Festival at Stone Mountain is the weekend. Pretty flowers, hundreds of arts and crafts booths (early Christmas shopping perhaps?), food and more out at the Big Rock.
Collin Kelley has been the editor of Atlanta Intown for two decades and has been a journalist and freelance writer for 35 years. He’s also an award-winning poet and novelist.
More by Collin Kelley