By John Schaffner
Atlanta architect Cecil Alexander, age 92, cut the ribbon to a dream come true Nov. 23 as Hermi’s Bridge, named for his late wife Hermione Alexander, was reopened to foot and bike traffic, connecting Buckhead to Vinings and Cobb County over the Chattahoochee River. The bridge was built in 1903 as a single-lane steel truss bridge extending Paces Ferry Road across the river and replacing a ferry. A new two-lane concrete bridge was erected in 1974 and Hermi and Cecil Alexander successfully urged Fulton County to preserve the old span as a pedestrian way. Hermi Alexander was killed in an auto accident in 1983 and the old bridge was rededicated by Fulton County to the memory and honor of Hermione Weil Alexander. The bridge as declared unsafe and closed in 2006 and officials from Atlanta and Cobb, along with the PATH Foundation worked together to rehabilitate it. The restoration of the bridge was recently completed leading to the ceremony attended by close to 100 Alexander family members, friends and local officials and community leaders from the three jurisdictions of Fulton and Cobb counties and the city of Atlanta. In the photo above, Cecil Alexander addresses the crowd gathered at the west end of the bridge, which looms behind him.