More than 178,000 attendees are expected to visit Downtown Atlanta and the surrounding areas during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and the Atlanta Police Department is prepared for increased activity. A variety of sporting events, concerts and other happenings will fill the city and the Atlanta Police Department is offering a few tips to navigate the crowds and enjoy the city safely.
Most importantly, anyone traveling to any of the events by car should remember to adhere to the APD’s Clean Car Campaign by removing all valuables prior to exiting their vehicle. Officers routinely respond to reports of laptops, GPS units, tablet computers, purses, firearms and other valuables stolen from unattended vehicles. Leave these items at home, or take them with you to avoid becoming a victim of this preventable crime. Remember to call 911 in case of an emergency or to report suspicious activity and be aware of neighborhood parking restrictions.
Here’s just some of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend events happening around Intown:
· Atlanta Half Marathon Health & Fitness Expo, Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel, November 26-27, 11:00 am – 8:00 pm
· Atlanta Half Marathon (5K race), Hank Aaron Dr. SE @ Ralph David Abernathy Blvd. SE, November 28, 7:30 am – 11:00 am
· Macy’s Tree Lighting, Lenox Square Mall, November 28, 4:30 pm – 9:00 pm
· Atlanta Hawks vs. Dallas Mavericks, Philips Arena, November 29, 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm
· Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Georgia Bulldogs, Bobby Dodd Stadium, November 30, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
· Georgia State Panthers vs. South Alabama Jaguars, Georgia Dome, November 30, 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
· The Story Tour (Christian Concert), Philips Arena, November 30, 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm
· Kanye West “Yeezus Tour”, Philips Arena, December 1, 8:00 pm – 11:00 pm