The Buckhead Forest district, which encompasses Alberta Drive, Mathieson Drive and West Shadowlawn Avenue, is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The neighborhood is located within the densely-developed triangle of land bounded by Peachtree, Piedmont and Roswell roads.
In 1907 the Georgia Railway and Electric Company extended its trolley line from Downtown Atlanta along Peachtree Road, north to Buckhead and beyond into largely undeveloped land. This accessibility spurred a building boom in the area. Developed as four separate subdivisions between 1911 and 1945, the earliest development in the district reflects the characteristics of a streetcar suburb, while the later development reflects the influence of the automobile. With its rolling topography, curvilinear streets, and development pattern of sizable lots with homes set back from the street, the neighborhood still today articulates a “park-like setting,” the predominant national trend in early 20th-century suburban development.
The district contains an intact collection of house types and styles popular with the middle-class throughout Georgia from the 1910s through the 1960s. They include bungalows, English Cottages, American Small Houses, and ranch houses. Stylistic influences in the district include English Vernacular Revival, French Vernacular Revival, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, and Contemporary.