Update: The NAPPS community meeting scheduled for Feb. 25 has been cancelled due to approaching winter weather. The event will be rescheduled. Stay tuned for details.
NAPPS — North Atlanta Parents for Public Schools — will host its next community meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 25, at the newly opened E. Rivers Elementary campus gym at noon.
The new building, located on the site of the original school, has a student capacity of about 900 – nearly double the size of the former building, originally constructed in 1952, according to a press release from NAPPS.
Wednesday’s meeting will feature Courtney English, chair of the Board of Education, and North Atlanta’s BOE representative, Nancy Meister. They will provide the community updates on a number issues currently facing Atlanta Public Schools, including but not limited to:
- State of affairs between APS and City of Atlanta, InvestAtlanta regarding the Beltline TAD
- Board status regarding the selling of several APS properties and the deeds currently being held by the city
- News on the APS Cluster Planning and Charter System Application Process – several planning sessions have been held already
- Status of FY2016 budget planning
- Board accomplishments of past year and goals for 2015.
A few questions will be allowed from the audience, time permitting. Attendees are invited to bring lunch. Drinks will be provided by the host school.
Also, NAPPS is looking for parents in its school cluster to serve on its board. The mission of NAPPS is to increase community awareness and support for North Atlanta cluster schools.
- Attending community meetings and approximately six board meetings/year.
- Serve as a representative between your child’s school and NAPPS.
- Participate in any advocacy planning and communication to educate our cluster regarding important issues within the greater APS community.
- Help determine community meeting topics and assist at your particular school location.
Positions include a range of leadership opportunities, communications, social media, secretary and/or general interest in helping in any committee level role.
If interested, email email@example.com.