The Brookhaven Police Department posted to its Facebook page on Feb. 14 that it had saved an apparent drug overdose victim by using Narcan, a drug that blocks opiods, as well as through the use of an AED.
Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed into law last year a bill allowing for first responders to use Narcan, a name brand for naloxone, to save a life.
The incident occurred Feb. 13. Brookhaven Police said they do not have an update on the patient.
An effort by the Friends of Brookhaven also raised more than $60,000 in 2013 to go toward equipping the city’s police cars with AEDs, or automated external defibrillators, for the city’s police vehicles.
Last year, the Brookhaven Police Department received a donation of Narcan auto-injectors. Narcan is the name brand for naloxone, which reverses the effects of opioid overdose.
The post states in full:
Another Life Saved
Units responded to a 911 call in reference to a male subject having a possible drug overdose. Officer Lefever arrived with Corporal Kissel and they observed the male unresponsive, blue in the lips, extremely pale and clammy. He was also drenched in sweat and there was a belt lying next to him. It did not appear that he was breathing and there was foam coming out of his mouth.
Officer Lefever within a minute of arriving administered one EVZIO Narcan cartridge to the subject’s right thigh. Corporal Kissel checked for a pulse and when he could not feel one, he began to unpack his AED for usage. After ripping open the subject’s button down shirt, Officer Lefever began one round of thirty chest compressions. Corporal Kissel applied AED patches to the chest of the subject and was continuing to prep for AED application when the subject began to breathe.
The breath was faint and he was weezing. Foam continued to trickle out of the subject’s mouth at this time. Officer Crawford and Lt. Patton were on scene to assist and Lt Patton applied a second dosage of EVZIO Narcan to the subject’s right thigh. Officer Lefever lifted the subject’s legs in the air as he lay on his back. Moments later, the subject’s eyes began to flutter and he opened them. The subject was disoriented and could not speak or answer questions but was able to squeeze Officer Lefever’s finger. After a few moments, the subject was able to sit up and was moved to a couch. Dekalb Fire and AMR made it on scene to check the vitals of the subject. The subject became coherent and was apologetic about the situation. The subject was transported to the hospital.
EVZIO is designed to aid in combatting the leading cause of accidental death in the United States – Drug Poisoning.
EVZIO is the first and only FDA-approved naloxone product specifically indicated for the emergency treatment of known or suspected opioid overdose as manifested by respiratory and/or central nervous system depression and is intended for immediate administration as emergency therapy in settings where opioids may be present, including outside of supervised medical settings.