A Buckhead woman is in critical condition after being burned in a Feb. 21 fire that also killed her dog at 119 Pharr Road, according to an ajc.com report. The fire, which displaced several other residents, reportedly started in the cooking area of another condo.

Sandy Springs Fire Rescue Chief Keith Sanders recently raised concerns about how often fires start in kitchen areas of multifamily complexes that lack fire suppression devices. In January, he reported to Sandy Springs City Council that there had been 38 fires in multifamily residences in the previous 11 months, of which 42 percent started in the kitchen area.

John Ruch

John Ruch is an Atlanta-based journalist. Previously, he was Managing Editor of Reporter Newspapers.