As a part of this operation, a City-Wide Gun Reduction Task Force was formed and consisted of both uniform officers and investigators, from several departmental units and zones. They investigated 88 aggravated assaults with a weapon, 7 days a week, in mostly the evening hours.
During the operational period, the target area of Zone 1 accounted for 25 aggravated assaults and Zone 3 had 26 aggravated assaults. At the end of the operation APD realized a slight downward trend in non-fatal shooting in the target areas, with two beats reporting zero non- fatal shooting incidents. Gun seizures increased by 20 percent and narcotics arrests increased by 238 percent in target areas.
- Accidental shooting – 12 Cases
- Domestic – 1 Case
- Robbery – 19 Cases
- Dispute – 40 Cases
- Unknown – 6 Cases
- Drugs – 5 Cases
- Shot by Victim – 1 Case
- Gang – 1 Case
- Non – Criminal – 1 Case
- Unintended Victim – 2 Cases
Victims of Aggravated Assaults involving firearms:
- 86 were Male, 11 were Female
- Average age was approximately 30 years old
- Ages ranged from 5 years old to 70 years old
There were approximately 100 individuals alleged to be involved in the 88 Aggravated Assaults involving a firearm:
- 55 Males were the alleged suspect
- 5 Females were the alleged suspect
- 28 Unknown suspects
- Of the 88 cases that were assigned the Gun Reduction Task Force made arrests or took out warrants for 17 individuals.
- The average age of these individuals was approximately 23 years old.
- 8 Males were arrested.
- 8 Males had warrants taken out for their arrest.
- 1 Female was arrested.
The following firearms were used during the 88 Aggravated Assaults involving a firearm:
- 76 Handguns
- 10 Rifles
- 1 Shotgun
- 1 Baseball Bat
- Number of warrants up from 6 to 10
- Number of arrests up from 238% (8 vs 27)
- Gun seizures up 20% (10 vs 12)
The operation concluded on Aug. 31, however the Gun Reduction Task Force will continue into the foreseeable future.