The Brookhaven City Council approved June 12 a $150,000 contract to Thomas & Hutton to design improvements to the Ashford-Dunwoody Road and Peachtree Road intersection.
The intersection improvements approved for Ashford-Dunwoody and Peachtree roads include:
1. Extend right turn lane on southbound Ashford-Dunwoody Road to Sanctuary at Oglethorpe apartments.
2. Convert right turn lane from Ashford-Dunwoody Road to southbound Peachtree Rd into a barrier separated free-flow lane, controlled by a right turn arrow signal with pedestrian activated push button to facilitate safe crossing across Ashford-Dunwoody Road.
3. Install a dedicated right turn lane on southbound Peachtree Road at Ashford-Dunwoody Road.
4. Increase turn radius in northeast corner of intersection, install a raised concrete island, and provide space for bus shelter and waiting area.
5. Construct appropriate pedestrian and streetscape improvements. These include adding multi-use paths and a 5-foot sidewalk, according to Public Works Director Hari Karikaran.
The cost estimate last year for this portion of the corridor study was between $1,770,000-$2,125,000.